SR22 Insurance in California
How to get an SR22 Insurance in California?
SR22 Insurance in California
SR22 is a certificate of financial responsibility which is needed to re-establish your driving privileges after a driving infraction for example, a DUI conviction, an uninsured car crash/auto accident or any moving violations.
If your license is suspended for any moving violations or you are convicted of a more serious driving-related offense then Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in California will likely need you to obtain an SR-22 from a licensed auto insurance company in order for you to get your license reinstated.
California SR22 is a legal requirement when a driver has a DWI conviction, an at-fault collision, a driving-without-insurance citation, accumulating too many license points, or a citation for driving with a suspended license.
SR-22 requirements in the state of California are unique to the state. So it’s important for you to understand how this will impact your insurance rate, driving record and other factors. Please read the following topics to get all the details related to California SR22 Insurance.
Who needs an SR22 Insurance in California?
A SR-22 insurance is essential for drivers –
- Caught for DUI, DWI, or other major traffic violations.
- Who was involved in an accident where there was a bodily injury, death, or damage to property and the driver did not have minimum liability insurance.
- When there are unpaid legal judgments
- Caught without auto insurance or are unable to show proof of insurance to the authorities.
- When there are excessive violations within a short period of time
What is the basic minimum coverage to be maintained by drivers requiring a California SR22 Insurance?
The state of California requires all drivers requiring a SR22 Insurance to have a basic minimum coverage of –
- $15,000 for injury or death to one person.
- $30,000 for injury or death to more than one person.
- $5,000 for damage to property.
How do I file for an SR22 Insurance in California?
SR22InsuranceNow can help you file an SR22 in California. Just give us a call at 888-885-3948 and speak to an SR22 specialist who will listen to all your requirements then get you connected with top SR22 insurance providers in California. You can get several quotes from different providers, compare those and choose the best one suitable for your needs.
All this can happen just through a single phone call. Once you choose the right provider, they will then file an SR22 form for you for a minimum fee and submit the same. You will receive a copy of the form and a letter from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) once your SR22 insurance form filing has been accepted.
How much does a California SR22 Insurance cost?
Your insurance agency will charge you a fee of $20 to $50 to file for a SR22 certificate.
SR-22 insurance in California will cost more than what you previously paid for auto insurance, but this is mainly due to the infringement that caused you to file for a California SR22 in the first place.
How does a California SR22 Affect my Insurance Premiums?
Having an SR22 certificate in California will increase your premium amount depending on your traffic violation, and other factors such as your age, driving history, and more.
Take a look at the table below to get an idea of what your insurance premium could look like after getting an SR22 certificate in California –
|High Risk Rating Factor||Average Annual Rate||Increase vs. no violations|
At-fault collision with damage over $2,000
Speeding of 21-25 mph over the limit
How long do I need a California SR22 Insurance?
You must maintain a California SR22 insurance for a minimum of three years, however, serious convictions may require you to maintain your California SR-22 insurance for up to 10 years. Also note that if your driver’s license is suspended, your California SR-22 insurance will only begin after the suspension is over.
Non-Owner SR22 Insurance In California
In California, Non-owners SR22 insurance is required by drivers who drive a car but don’t own it. This includes coverage for any damage caused by the driver while driving. The cost of a non-owner SR22 insurance in California depends on a few components including age, sexual orientation, postal division, conjugal status, driving record, and FICO score.
SR22InsuranceNow can help you in finding insurance companies in California that offer non-owner SR22 insurance. It just takes a couple of minutes and you can have your non – owner SR22 documented on the same day.
Call us at 888-885-3948 today!
Some FAQs regarding SR22 Insurance in California
1. Where can I get the cheapest SR22 Insurance in Los Angeles, California?
2. How do I get my driving privilege restored in California after I had my driving license suspended for DUI?
You’ll need to follow these steps to get your driving privilege restored after having your license suspended for DUI in California –
a) Complete your suspension or probation period
b) Pay the DMV the $55.00 reinstatement fee
c) File a Notice of Completion Certificate showing that you completed a Driving Under the Influence Treatment Program
d) Pay fines to the court
3. What Happens after my California SR22 Insurance expires?
Once your California SR22 insurance expires or is canceled, your insurance company will issue an SR-26 to the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators (AAMVA) and end your coverage.
4. What's the average monthly payment on an SR22 in the state of California?
The premium of a California SR22 Insurance for one DUI conviction comes out to anywhere between $300 to $800. You can get in touch with SR22InsuranceNow to get the cheapest California SR22 quotes.
5. Which companies offer SR22 Insurance in Los Angeles, California?
Top insurance companies like StateFarm, Geico, Allstate, Progressive and many more offer SR22 Insurance in Los Angeles and in all major counties and cities within California.
6. How to get cheap SR22 insurance in California without a car?
If you don’t own a car, you’ll have to get a Non – Owners SR22 Insurance. This insurance covers the cost of any damage caused by the driver while driving.
SR22InsuranceNow (888-885-3948) will help you in finding insurance companies that offer the cheapest non-owner SR22 insurance. It just takes a couple of minutes and you can have your non – owner SR22 documented on the same day.
7. How to remove SR-22 in California?
There are only two reasons you should cancel or remove an SR22 filing from your auto insurance:
- switching insurance companies
- completed required SR22 probation period.
If you remove the SR22 prior to the end of your required period your license will be suspended again.
a. Switching Insurance Companies
Since the state of California requires all drivers requiring an SR22 insurance to maintain it for a minimum period of 3 years, it is likely lower rates are available during this time at another company, prompting the drivers to make a switch. Follow this checklist on how to go about switching auto insurance while you have SR22 filed:
- Get SR22 Insurance Quotes – Before switching companies compare rates from leading auto insurance providers in California. Each insurance company has different rates so you may be able to save 25% or more.
- Start New SR22 Policy – Prior to canceling the old policy make sure you have the new one in place and the SR22 is filed with the state of California.
- Cancel Old SR22 Policy – Once you get confirmation from the new auto insurance company that the policy is in place and the SR-22 has been filed you can cancel your old old policy. To ensure that there is no lapse in coverage we recommend cancelling the old policy 2-3 days after the new policy is in place.
b. Required SR22 Period Completed
Depending on your court decision you may be required to maintain an SR-22 for 3-5 years in California. Follow this checklist on how to go about removing your SR22 from your auto insurance policy once your SR22 period is completed:
- Call Department of Motor Vehicles in California – Prior to making any changes on your SR22 insurance policy make sure to call the DMV in California to confirm you are eligible to remove the SR-22 filing.
- Call Insurance Company to Remove SR22 – After you have confirmed with the state of California, call the insurance company and inform them that the SR22 is no longer needed. The insurance company will remove the filing from your auto insurance at this time.