SR22 Insurance in California
In California, if your license is suspended for any moving violations or you are convicted of a more serious driving-related offense then DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) will likely need you to obtain an SR-22 from a licensed auto insurance company to get your license reinstated.
California SR22 is a legal requirement when a driver has a DWI conviction, an at-fault collision, a driving-without-insurance citation, accumulating too many license points, or a citation for driving with a suspended license.
SR-22 requirements in the state of California are unique to the state. So it’s important for you to understand how this will impact your insurance rate, driving record and other factors. Please read the following topics to get all the details related to California SR22 Insurance.
Who needs an SR22 Insurance in California?
In California, SR-22 car insurance is necessary for motorists
- Caught for DUI, DWI, or other major traffic violations.
- Who was involved in an accident where there was bodily injury, death, or damage to property and the driver did not have minimum liability insurance.
- When there are unpaid legal judgments
- Caught without auto insurance or are unable to show proof of insurance to the authorities.
- When there are excessive violations within a short period of time
What is the basic minimum coverage needed for drivers requiring SR22 in California?
The state of California requires all motorist to have a minimum coverage of
- $15,000 for injury or death to one person.
- $30,000 for injury or death to more than one person.
- $5,000 for damage to property.
How do I file SR22 form in California?
We can help you file SR22 in California. Just give us a call at our tollfree number 888-885-3948. An SR22 specialist will help you obtain free SR22 quote from top providers in California. You can compare rates and save big!
All this can happen just over a phone call. Once you choose the provider, they will file an SR22 form for you for a minimum fee and submit the same with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). You will receive a copy of the form and a letter from the DMV once your SR22 insurance form filing has been accepted.
How much does an SR-22 cost in California?
Your insurance company will charge you a fee of $20 to $50 to file for SR22 insurance in California. However, having an SR22 certificate in California will increase your premium amount. Here’s what your insurance premium could look like after SR22
|High-risk rating factor||Average annual rate||Increase vs. no violations|
|Collision with damage over $2,000||$3,281||$1,413|
|Speeding with 21-25 mph over the limit||$2,627||$759|
How long will I need to maintain SR-22 in California?
You must maintain the SR22 for a minimum of three years, however, serious convictions may require you to maintain your California SR-22 insurance for up to 10 years. Also note that if your driver’s license is suspended, your SR-22 will only begin after the suspension is over.
What happens after my SR22 insurance expires?
Once your SR22 expires or is cancelled, the insurance company will file an SR-26 with the DMV notifying them that either an SR22 policy is no longer required or has been cancelled, effectively ending your coverage.
How do I get my driving privilege restored in CA after a DUI?
- Complete your suspension or probation period
- Pay the DMV the $55.00 reinstatement fee
- File a Notice of Completion Certificate showing that you completed a Driving Under the Influence Treatment Program
- Pay fines to the court
Non-Owner SR22 Insurance in California
In California, Non Owner SR22 insurance is required for drivers who drive a car but don’t own it. This includes coverage for any damage caused by the driver in an accident.
The cost of a non-owner SR22 insurance in California depends on a few components including age, sexual orientation, postal division, conjugal status, driving record, and FICO score.
SR22InsuranceNow can help you find top insurance providers in California that offer non-owner SR22 insurance. It just takes a couple of minutes and you can have your non – owner SR22 documented on the same day. Call us at 888-885-3948 today!
How to get cheap SR22 insurance in California without a car?
If you are required to file SR-22 but you don’t own a car, you have to get a Non – Owners SR22 Insurance. This insurance covers the cost of any damage caused by the driver while driving.
The best way to get cheap SR22 insurance even if you don't own a car is to shop around and get quotes from different providers and compare rates. SR22InsuranceNow can help you get FREE SR22 insurance quotes from top insurance providers. You can compare rates and save big!
Call us now at our toll-free number 888-885-3948.
How to remove SR-22 in California?
There are only two reasons why you should cancel or remove an SR22 filing from your auto insurance:
- Switching insurance companies
- Completed required SR22 probation period
If you remove the SR22 prior to completion of required period your license will be suspended again.
Switching Insurance Companies
Since the state of California requires all drivers requiring an SR22 insurance to maintain it for a minimum period of 3 years, it is likely that lower rates are available during this time at another company, prompting the drivers to make a switch.
- Get SR22 Insurance Quotes – Before switching companies compare rates from leading auto insurance providers in California. Each insurance company has different rates so you may be able to save 25% or more.
- Start New SR22 Policy – Prior to canceling the old policy make sure you have the new one in place and the SR22 is filed with the state of California.
- Cancel Old SR22 Policy – Once you get confirmation from the new auto insurance company that the policy is in place and the SR-22 has been filed you can cancel your old old policy. To ensure that there is no lapse in coverage we recommend cancelling the old policy 2-3 days after the new policy is in place.
Required SR22 Period Completed
Depending on your court decision you may be required to maintain an SR-22 for 3-5 years in California.
- Call Department of Motor Vehicles in California – Prior to making any changes on your SR22 insurance policy make sure to call the DMV in California to confirm you are eligible to remove the SR-22 filing.
- Call Insurance Company to Remove SR22 – After you have confirmed with the state of California, call the insurance company and inform them that the SR22 is no longer needed. The insurance company will remove the filing from your auto insurance at this time.
California Laws & Penalties
According to California state law, one cannot operate a vehicle if the driver was impaired or under the influence of drugs or alcohol or if your blood-alcohol content (BAC) is 0.08 percent or higher. For first-timers, penalties include imprisonment up to 6 months, fines up to $1,000, license cancellation up to 6 months, and alcohol treatment classes.
Get a Free, No-obligation SR22 Auto Insurance Quote in California