Basics of SR-22 Insurance
An SR-22 is a form that is filed with a state department to show that you are meeting your state’s minimum auto liability insurance requirements. An SR-22 may also be referred to as a certificate of financial responsibility, or, in some states, an FR-44
Who needs an SR22?
SR-22 certificate is required for the following convictions:
- When the driver is caught under the influence of drugs or intoxicants
- When the driver is caught for serious and/or repeat traffic offenses
- When the driver is caught and is an at-fault accident with no insurance
- When the driver’s license is suspended or revoked
How long do you need to have SR22 insurance?
SR-22 terms and timelines vary by state to state, but the following are some general guidelines for reference:
- It is required to show continuous SR-22 insurance coverage for at least three years (more in some states).
- In case of lapse of expiry of your policy, the insurance company is mandated to notify the state.
- Not following the terms of your SR-22 policy has serious repercussions, and may result in suspension of your license.
- Once the time requirement of your state is rightly fulfilled, your SR-22 status is usually lifted.
- For filling an SR-22, it is prudent to contact your insurer to obtain the documents for submission to your state department.
Disclaimer: sr22insurancenow.com is not an insurance company. We have a large network of licensed insurance agents across the US. Once you have submitted your information to our system, sr22insurancenow.com may instantly match you with local agents in your area. Those agents will run free insurance quotes for you and provide those quotes via the information you have provided. This process may save you time and money because you can compare rates from multiple companies without having to contact numerous agents and provide your information several times. This website is not a substitute for legal advice, so when in doubt, check with your local courthouse, DMV, or legal advisor about your specific SR22 needs. All logos, brand names, trademarked words used in this site are owned by respective owners of the brands. sr22insurancenow.com doesn’t have any rights on any of the brand names or logos mentioned over here.